Thursday, May 28, 2009

The whole of India is Shriya's stage!


She swiftly rose to the top of her game in Tamil cinema, but a Hollywood movie and a couple of Hindi flicks swept Shriya Saran far from Kodambakkam. Nevertheless, she does have a couple of Tamil films waiting for release, one of them being the much-hyped and unduly delayed Kanthaswamy. I don't know about the release dates as I never interfere with those things. I'm hoping the film comes out soon and does well. We still have to shoot for a small portion. We plan to dub it in Italian, Spanish and Telugu, she says when asked about the movie's release. Shriya's Hindi flick Mission Istanbul didn't do too well; neither did her English film The Other End of the Line [yet to release in India], but she has a lot of hope in Deepa Mehta's What's Cooking Stella?, a light-hearted take on the way foreigners treat Indian domestic help. Ask her if it's tough for her to carve a niche in Bollywood without backing, and pat comes the reply, I don't understand terms like Bollywood and Kollywood. When I do a Hindi film, I do an Indian film; ditto for a Tamil film. I live in Mumbai, I was born in the North, and started working in the South where I never had a godfather. It's been a smooth ride till now. I have been accepted in Bollywood pretty well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment